A Study of the Book of Revelation
1. ¶ And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
The angel showed John a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal originating in the throne of God.
The throne of God is prominent in the concluding vision John saw.
The river is pure, no germs, no diseases, no pollution, it is not muddy, but bright and clean.
2. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
In the midst of the city stands the tree of life. Here are symbols of eternal life:
1. 12 manners of fruits - number 12 stands for divine authority and power. These fruits represent the joy and beauty of Heaven.
2. Yielded her fruit every month - speaks of the bounty of Heaven.
3. Leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations - notice nations are still around.
The saints of the heavenly city will eat of the fruit of the tree and nations shall use its leaves. If we desire to eat of the fruit and drink of the water of life, we can do so.
The Scripture seems to indicate that we will not have to eat, but will be able to do so if we desire.
After the resurrection, Jesus ate literal food. I believe the tree of life is for our pleasure and enjoyment.
3. And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
The curse of the Garden of Eden is gone. The curse of sin is over and will not be there. This speaks of His authority and power. We will see Him face to face and we will serve and honor Him.
4. And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
We will walk with Him, talk with Him forever. This tells us that the believer will be identified with God for all eternity.
5. And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
God wants us to know that the night is over. He tells us here and back in Revelation 21:25. All through the Bible, God is associated with light. Darkness is gone forever. Jesus Christ will replace the candles, the sun, etc. He will be the light of the city.
6. ¶ And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
God keeps his promises. He has always been faithful and true to His word. He is God of the past just as He is God of the present.
God used an angel to inform John and us through the writings of John.
Shortly be done here” covers a few thousand years, but they are short compared to eternity.
7. Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
This is the promise of the Saviour. In comparison to eternity it will be quickly.
Blessed – means happy.
8. And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
John says he saw and heard these things he has told us about. John says this outline of world history is true. John said when he saw them and heard them, he was so overcome he fell at the angel’s feet to worship the angel. The angel is the one that had shown John these things.
9. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
The angel speaks to John. The angel said, “Don’t worship me, John.” The angel identifies himself to John as a fellowservant…
Notice the angel told John to worship God!
The angel actually told John, “Hey, I am a member of the team.”
10. And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
This is a point on the availability of the Scriptures. This is an open book.
Since the book of Revelation is not a closed book, maybe we can understand it! The very name of this book is unveiling.
In Daniel 12, God told Daniel to seal up the book and rest until the time of the end. But the angel told John not to seal this book.
“For the time is at hand” refers to the coming of Christ.
11. He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
“He that is unjust” refers to those who have not been justified by Christ.
“And he which is filthy” means the polluted ones.
“unjust still and the filthy still” – indicates that the people formerly of the earth, now in hell are in a permanent state, which was fixed and determined at the second coming of Christ when all the wicked were judged and cast into the lake of fire.
“The righteous still” means those that are born again and will always be born again.
“Still” – means they had previously been caught up to meet Jesus and they are with Him and will forever be with Him.
“He that is holy” speaks of being born again and an abundant and spirit filled life.
“Still” in this verse means they are permanently fixed and will forever stay fixed.
12. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
And behold means to look suddenly. The second advent of Christ will happen suddenly!
Notice the reward is singular. The term rewards is not found in the Bible. It appears that work on the part of the Christian is required to receive a reward.
The Bible also tells us about crowns. In order to receive a particular crown and each on e is different.
2 Tim. 4:8
Matt. 24:42, 46
1 John 2:28
2 Peter 3:14
Those that love His appearing
Those right with God at His coming.
Enduring, abiding, sticking with Christ even through suffering
The faithful’s crown or the martyr’s crown
1 Thess. 2:19
Rejoicing or Joy
The fruitful – brought others to Christ
The soulwinner’s crown
1 Peter 5:2
The spiritual leader an example to flock.
Pastors’, or leaders’ crown.
1 Cor. 9:19-27
Phil. 1:20; 3:12-14
Incorruptible or Victor’s Crown
Those mature in every area. The faithful from beginning to end in Christian life.
Those that practiced the Word and were Christlike. If you get this you may get it all.
13. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
“I am” - A great name of God discussed in Exodus 3:14.
Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.
Christ and none other can make these claims. The Lord is the creator and at the end and forever He will be in complete control.
14. Blessed are they that do his commandments that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Greek authorities tell us that in the original language, this should read, “Blessed are they who have washed their robes.”
These are the Christians or saints rewarded to the highest degree. The word blessed in this verse means happy.
Not only does the blood-washed believers have right to the tree of life, but they will enjoy continued access to the city. The saints will have all rights to enjoy the blessings of God.
15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
This verse does not mean just outside the city limits. This verse refers to the same group mentioned in Revelation 21:8.
“Dogs” refers to those who followed the old sin nature. This speaks of those in the lake of fire. This is a contrast verse. This is a colored photograph of unbelievers.
16. I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
“I Jesus” - The King of kings and Lord of lords.
We are again assured that this is not a riddle, not a book of confusion, but it is the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
“In the churches” - We haven’t hear of the church since chapter 5.
“I am” – the great name of God
“Root” – Jesus Christ is God.
“Offspring of David” – refers to the fact that Christ came into the world through the tribe of Judah (Gen. 49:10,11). David was from the tribe of Judah.
“and the bright and morning star” – The bright star against a dark background means that Christ is a bright light against the darkness of human history.
17. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
And the Spirit is the The Holy Spirit and the bride is the bride of Christ. This is an invitation to the tribulational people to believe.
Anyone that hears this invitation is urged to come. The ones who are desperate are invited. The invitation extends to all.
Water of life here is Jesus Christ and eternal life; and freely means come without price.
18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Here is a warning for those who tamper with the Word of God. There have been attacks on the Word of God in all ages, and the worst attack will come during the Tribulation.
God will add the judgements of the Tribulation to those who dare tamper with the Word of God.
“For I testify” – this is assured from Jesus Christ.
“Every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book.” He is saying to all that hear or read the message in Revelation.
“If any man shall add unto these things.” – This means adding to the teachings of the book of Revelation.
The book of Revelation tells of many judgements of God, so the one adding to His message shall suffer under the same penalities of the judgment.
Dear sinner, don’t try to explain away the judgements of God. What you sow, you shall reap.
19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Here is a warning to those who deny or explain away the teachings of the book of Revelation.
This speaks of those who would subtract from this book of Revelation.
“Take away his part” means the same as “deny him any part”.
The whole passage therefore should be viewed as indicating an entire condition of the heart and life.
Adding to or taking away from gives insight to the attitude of a rejecting heart.
20. ¶ He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
“He which testifieth these things” - This is the Lord Jesus and these things are the sayings and promises of this book.
“Surely I come quickly” - Here is the final announcement of the second coming of Christ.
“Quickly” speaks of the suddenness in which the Lord will come.
John was convinced the Lord was coming – Amen means I believe it.
This is the prayer of the apostle John. After all that John saw, he prayed for the coming of the Lord. This is the last recorded prayer of the Bible.
21. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
This great book of Revelation ends on the basis of grace.
1. We are saved by grace.
2. We are kept saved by grace.
3. We become spiritual by grace.
4. We enter Heaven by grace.
THANK GOD FOR GRACE!
Clark, Neal. Survey of the Book of Revelation. Pensacola, Florida: Thee WFBI Press, 1999. Print.
Falwell, Jerry. Liberty Commentary on the New Testament. Lynchburg, VA: Liberty Press, 1978. Print.